Potassium hydroxide is a white powder or flake solid with strong alkalinity and corrosiveness. It is easy to absorb moisture in the air and deliquesce, and absorb carbon dioxide to form potassium carbonate. Dissolve in about 0.6 parts of hot water, 0.9 parts of cold water, 3 parts of ethanol and 2.5 parts of glycerin.
The role of potassium hydroxide
1. It is used as desiccant, absorbent, oxalic acid and various potassium salts, electroplating, carving, lithography, etc.
2. It is mainly used as raw materials for potash production, such as potassium permanganate, potassium carbonate, etc. In the pharmaceutical industry, it is used to produce potassium, boron, hydrogen, spironolactone, salbutamol, testosterone propionate, etc. In light industry, it is used to produce potassium soap, alkaline battery, cosmetics (such as cold cream, cream and shampoo). In dye industry, it is used to produce vat dyes, such as vat blue RSN, etc. In the electrochemical industry, it is used for electroplating, carving, etc. In the textile industry, it is used for printing and dyeing, bleaching and mercerizing, and is widely used as the main raw material for manufacturing man-made fiber and polyester fiber. In addition, it is also used in metallurgy heating agent and leather degreasing.
3. Chemical basic raw materials, used in medicine, daily chemical industry, etc.
4. It is used as an absorbent of analytical reagent, saponification reagent, carbon dioxide and water.
5. The daily chemical industry is used as the raw material for making washing soap, shampoo soap, cream, cold cream, shampoo, etc. Pharmaceutical industry is used to manufacture raw materials such as progesterone and vanillin. The dye industry is used to make melamine dyes. The battery industry is used to make alkaline batteries.
What effect does potassium hydroxide have on the skin
It has the function of cauterizing tissue, dissolving protein and forming basic denatured protein. Solution or dust splashed on the skin, especially on the mucous membrane, can produce soft scabs. The higher the solution concentration, the higher the temperature and the stronger the effect. Splashing into the eyes can not only damage the cornea, but also damage the deep tissues of the eyes.
最高容许浓度为0.5 mg/m。工作时应防止触及皮肤和眼睛，如不慎触及时，可用流水洗涤受损部位，然后湿敷5%的醋酸、酒石酸、盐酸或柠檬酸溶液；如溅人眼内，应用流水或生理盐水仔细缓慢洗涤10～30 min，然后点入2%的奴佛卡因或0.5%的地卡因溶液。操作时应穿由结实布制作的工作服，戴橡皮手套、袖套、围裙，穿胶鞋等劳保用品，手上宜涂敷中性和疏水软膏。
The maximum allowable concentration is 0.5 mg / m. When working, it should be prevented from touching the skin and eyes. If it is touched in time, the damaged part can be washed with running water, and then 5% acetic acid, tartaric acid, hydrochloric acid or citric acid solution can be wet applied. If it splashes into the eyes, it should be washed carefully and slowly with running water or normal saline for 10-30 min, and then 2% novocaine or 0.5% dicaine solution can be added. During operation, workers shall wear work clothes made of strong cloth, rubber gloves, sleeves, apron, rubber shoes and other labor protection appliances, and apply neutral and hydrophobic ointment on their hands.