Potassium hydroxide, also known as caustic potassium, caustic soda and potassium ash, is a common chemical product with the appearance of white powder or flake solid. It is often seen in industry and laboratory. However, potassium hydroxide is a dangerous chemical, with strong alkalinity and corrosivity, and can also cause human poisoning.
Strong alkalinity and corrosivity: it can burn when in contact with skin, dissolve protein and form alkaline denatured protein. When the solution or dust splashes on the skin, especially on the mucous membrane, soft scabs can be produced. The higher the solution concentration, the higher the temperature and the stronger the effect. Splashing into the eye can not only damage the cornea, but also damage the deep tissue of the eye.
If we accidentally come into contact during use, we should quickly carry out self rescue response: we should prevent touching the skin and eyes during work. If we accidentally touch in time, we can wash the damaged parts with running water, and then wet compress 5% acetic acid, tartaric acid, hydrochloric acid or citric acid solution; If splashed into the eyes, wash carefully and slowly with running water or normal saline for 10 ~ 30min, and then point in 2% novocaine or 0.5% dicaine solution. During operation, wear work clothes made of solid cloth, rubber gloves, sleeves, aprons, rubber shoes and other labor protection articles, and apply neutral and hydrophobic ointment on hands.
Toxicity: long term inhalation of a small amount will cause lung damage, and its acute toxicity is ld50273mg / kg (oral to rats). Therefore, we must avoid engaging in potassium hydroxide related work for a long time, pay attention to wearing corresponding protective equipment and try to avoid eating. If you eat it accidentally, rinse your mouth with water immediately and drink milk or egg white. If it is serious, seek medical attention immediately.
As potassium hydroxide will also pollute the water body and has the risk of explosion, in case of accidental leakage accident, the leakage polluted area shall be isolated immediately and access shall be restricted. It is recommended that emergency treatment personnel wear dust masks and acid-base proof work clothes. Do not touch the leakage directly. Small leakage: collect it in a dry, clean and covered container with a clean shovel. It can also be washed with a large amount of water and diluted into the wastewater system. Massive leakage: collect, recycle or transport to the waste treatment site for disposal.